Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A New Adventure Awaits

“It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys.” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

There are truly few things more exciting than planning for a trip…but especially a journey you have never attempted before.  I am all abuzz with that very feeling, as I am about to cast the lines for a new adventure on the water – the best kind.  I shall be crossing the state of Florida, from the Atlantic coast to the Gulf coast, via the Okeechobee Waterway on my trusty Seadoo.  Part of this involves a 20+ mile crossing on open waters of Lake Okeechobee itself.  The overall route is about 140 miles.  Much of it will be cruising in both natural rivers and manmade canals, through a nearly forgotten part of Old Florida.
When most people think of Florida, they think of the beaches, islands, and warm tropical ocean.  But Florida’s interior, known as the Heartland, is full of hidden treasures…small towns far from the hustle-bustle and crowds of the coasts, loads of authentic character, and a much slower, more relaxed pace of life. 
The crossing will involve passing through a total of 5 locks.  Lake Okeechobee’s water level is generally higher than sea level…and it is carefully managed by the various Water Management Districts and Water Authorities.  In order to maintain correct level in the lake, the waterways connecting it to the ocean and the gulf must also be managed, and this is done with dams.  This will be my very first experience boating through locks.  I am sure those of you that boat on rivers are accustomed to locks…but it will be an exciting new adventure for me!
Route Map of the Okeechobee Waterway
The journey will start in the Stuart, FL area on the Atlantic coast, and will conclude in the Fort Myers area on the Gulf coast.  I’ll be overnighting in a lakeside town, making it a two day trip.  Lake Okeechobee is vast…for those of you unfamiliar with it, it is the seventh largest (by surface area) freshwater lake in the United States, exceeded only by the Great Lakes and Iliamna Lake in Alaska…it covers a whopping 662 square miles but averages only about 9 feet deep.
As with any journey, when you are going far from home, you have to be prepared.  I always try to take as many precautions as I can before heading out on a long ride.  I also like to have contingencies in place wherever possible.  At a minimum, I ALWAYS carry towing insurance.  I prefer BoatUS, and have had coverage with them for many years.  I have only ever needed to call on them once, but that one time and the peace of mind that having coverage gives you, is worth every penny.  I also will be packing spares of things that could reasonably be changed on the fly: spark plugs, fuses, a spare ignition coil.  I carry a basic first aid kit, flashlight, a drybag containing important phone numbers, an anchor, a handheld VHF radio, a GPS, spare batteries…just to name a few.  I also carry a stainless steel fillet knife…not for cleaning fish though!  It is an invaluable tool to have if you get something caught up inside your intake grate.  I have cut out many plastic bags and other debris that became wrapped around the driveshaft using that knife…and subsequently avoided needing to get towed to a ramp to deal with the problem out-of-water.  On a trip like this, that will not even be an option.  Also a mask and snorkel, not only for checking out the sub aquatic terrain, but for enabling you to work beneath the vessel while it is in the water if necessary.
 
It is also prudent to research the locations of marinas and fuel docks ahead of time, and keep their phone numbers handy.  Because of the many problems we have in South Florida with PWC operators (see last week’s diatribe), there are some marinas that refuse to serve them.  So as a precaution, I like to phone ahead to make sure that I won’t show up at an unwelcome dock, running on fumes, and unable to fill up…it is the fuel dock operator’s discretion whom they serve.
But what you need most of all, is a good sense of adventure.  Going into the unknown can be unnerving for some…but for me, it is invigorating.  This particular journey has been done by many.  Albeit mostly on regular boats and not a PWC…but what matters is that it is new to me.  And the reward and sense of accomplishment achieved at the end of an epic ride cannot have a price tag attached.  And it is these unique journeys that keep life on the water alive and endlessly inspiring…and now, back to trip planning!

2 comments:

  1. Have Fun. I am going to take the same journey in April, north and then west thru the canal then heading south from Fort Myers around the horn through the middle and upper keys and then back to the Big Mango. Looking forward to hearing about your time...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a solo trip or are you taking a buddy? Would you believe I've done a number of multiple day kayaking excursions. (I've done a 78 mile circumnavigation of Lake Winnipesaukee 2x and while that may not sound like a lot to you PWC people, my arms will tell you that in a kayak, that is a lot of work).

    ReplyDelete