Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Paradise Found



“This must be just like living in paradise…and I don’t want to go home!” ~David Lee Roth







No, I am not riding in a resort's swimming pool!
I am still pinching myself.  Moving to the Florida Keys has been the best decision imaginable.  The weather, the laid-back casual attitude, the wonderful people, the tiki bars, the water…ohhhh the water!  It is high summer in these parts.  And that means that special time of year where it is plausible (and common!) to be in the water for untold hours.  I mean literally in the water.  Swimming, diving, or just lazily floating with libation in-hand.  The surf temperature at the surface is in the mid 80’s.  No joke.  And the clarity of the ocean is like nothing you would expect to find in the States.  The Keys are kind of like a trip to any number of Caribbean islands, only without the need for a passport!

Tropical seclusion is not hard to find.
I’ve been here for a few months now, but only recently finally got situated enough to devote some serious hours to cruising this stunning new territory.  Every turn around the corner, there is something awe-inspiring.  I think it is simply impossible to take a bad photo.  This past weekend I spent many hours riding the turquoise, glassy water.  And I could not stop being overwhelmed by the sheer beauty and awesomeness everywhere!  I have ridden in the Keys many times before.  But this time, knowing that I do not have to leave in a day or two, it felt different somehow.  I decided to take Van Halen’s advice, and NOT go home!

An Island to Oneself.  Oh hell, yes!
It will take me some months to cover all the new treasures and islands and wonders in the lower Keys, but I have already immensely enjoyed the small fraction I have seen.  The area is chock full of grass flats and reefs, sandbars, islets, and tropical wildlife.  Just a 10 minute ride from my dock is a charming little patch reef, in 10 – 15 feet of crystal clear water.  There is also a great local “party sandbar” that abuts a small island, adorned with hammocks and swinging chairs and a BBQ grill contributed by anonymous visitors.  There is even a guy that decided to live there…in a barge-like boat covered in mosquito netting.  Now THAT is taking getting off the grid to a whole new level!

Remnants of the old railroad bridge at Bahia Honda Key
The area is also rich in railroad history, and remnants of the original Flagler Railroad still exist, mainly in the form of old bridges.  There is something visually striking about the industrial greys and rusty browns of century-old decaying infrastructure set against a backdrop of rich blues, greens, and beiges.  The two are opposing in so many ways that they actually complement each other in a strange sort of ironic way.

Many places to relax, courtesy of local seating enthusiasts!
The spirit of exploration is alive and well.  And I couldn’t think of a better place to water-wander.  I am certain there will be all sorts of crazy new ideas and happenings as a result.  The wheels are turning…stay tuned, as I have a feeling there may be future opportunities for you, the Wake Zone community, to get a piece of paradise.  Happy riding, long live summer!

Brutus knows a good thing when he sees it (through doggles)

No comments:

Post a Comment